5.21.2012

It's the details...


See that giant swath of white skirting under the porch in the photo below? We've owned this house for almost 10 months now, and over the course of  those 10 months, that white skirting has made me absolutely crazy! Based on this old photo, I was hoping that we'd find the original wood skirting underneath the vinyl. Unfortunately, when we popped a small section off, the original wood slats were nowhere to be found. Damn it! After endless obsessing (a.k.a. sitting on the lawn with a beer this weekend, staring at offensive skirting), I finally grabbed some paint and set to work painting that beast. I used Rust-Oleum's Charleston Green, which almost perfectly matches the paint color we've used for the doors, kitchen cabinets, and chicken coop (that color is Valspar's Forest Canopy). The photo below is from the Fall, right after I cut down all of the hydrangeas and overgrown bushes...


and here's another look at the after. My hope was that the dark green would shift focus to the porch instead of the skirting...


I think it looks much cleaner now, and I really do think the dark color makes the skirting recede. Did you happen to notice how I painted the bottom of the rain gutters, too? I'm not afraid to say it, my friends...it's details like that that make me tick. I also started repainting the actual porch floor, which will clean things up even more. I'm still not in love with that vinyl railing, but I'm going to spend some more time obsessing before I take on that project. You can see more 'before' exterior photos here. What do you think?  

18 comments:

Erin said...

It looks great!

Tam@ToLive.ToLove.ToLaugh. said...

i love love love the darker color. It looks great!

Brittany Boersma said...

Looks awesome. Great choice!

jodi said...

It looks so much better!! That white skirting would have made me nuts too. I'm pretty much in love with your house. :)

Anonymous said...

Two thumbs up!

beth lehman said...

amazing what a difference that green made! i'll have to remember that!

Bianca (ivylovesjack) said...

oh so much better! it is such a lovely house.

brianne said...

I think it totally accomplishes what you'd hoped it would. Makes it feel like a lovely house with a perimeter of landscaping rather than something just plunked on the site. Bravo!

kristin said...

It worked! Way to get after it. :)

leFiligree said...

wow, that made a world of difference.

Petra said...

I would love to live in a house like that. With or whithout the white skirting, but I admit you did a fine job, painting it a green.

gail said...

That is one completely astonishing improvement!

Jessica Fly said...

I completely agree with your solution. I don't even notice the skirt now that it is dark. I just look at the great porch!

Nancy said...

It's so magical:) Great solution!

Jane S. said...

Yeah, definitely better with the dark green skirting and the planting beds! Lovely before, but stunning after. :)

Georgi P. said...

Good thinking! I thought you put on a new porch - it really does stand out now, in a very pretty way. A big improvement!

Julia at Home on 129 Acres said...

Love the character of your house. The porch looks like a great spot--even better now with the dark skirting.

goosefairy said...

Huh. I thought you removed the skirting. It just looks like a shadowed area there now. Excellent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...